Sunday, June 22, 2014

EASY HEALTHY VEGGIE QUESADILLAS

I don't know about you, but I get tired of eating the same old thing for lunch day after day. I am usually eating on the go, but when I am home, and I have time to put something together, I want something different. Today, I was craving a quesadilla. I LOVE quesadillas!! If I go out to a restaurant and they have quesadillas on the menu, that's usually what I order. I'm pretty boring. There's just something about chicken quesadillas (only shredded meat, though...no chunks for me) with an extra side of salsa that makes my mouth water (it's watering as I type this)! However, they come with a lot of extra calories, fat, and not-so-good-for-you ingredients. So, in order to know just what's going into my quesadillas, sometimes I like to make them at home. It's simple! You don't even need a quesadilla maker. You can do it right on your stove top.

 All you need is the following:
2 tortillas 
Cheese of choice (cheddar, monterey jack, etc)
Vegetables (I used avocado, tomato, onion, baby Bella mushrooms) 
Coconut oil spray

These veggie quesadillas were simple to make and took hardly any time at all. I just used what I had in my fridge, but use whatever you like, and make it your own. With regard to the tortillas, I try to stick to sprouted grains, and have eliminated most white flour and whole grain flour breads from my diet. Just in case you're wondering, Food for Life  has a great explanation of what sprouted grains actually are. I eat their Ezekial bread just about everyday (actually a couple of times a day)! 

So, back to the quesadillas...

If you are using mushrooms and onions, spray a small pan with coconut oil and sauté the onion and mushrooms for a few minutes on medium-high heat, or until the onions are transparent. 












Next, make sure the pan still has enough oil (I had to spray it again), and lay the first tortilla in and sprinkle with the cheese. I chose not to use much, but use as much as you want. 













Next, top with your veggies, and then top with the other tortilla. Once the cheese has melted and the bottom side has browned, carefully flip it over to brown the other side

Here, I used avocado, tomato, onions, baby bella mushrooms, and fresh basil.














And there you have it! A delicious simple, healthy and satisfying lunch!


Top with sour cream, guacamole, or salsa!


Let me know what some of your favorite fillers are. I'm always looking for some new ideas!








3 comments: