Friday, June 27, 2014

Sauteed Mixed Greens Recipe

I start off with good intentions! I see a bag of mixed greens on the shelf and I grab it and throw it in the cart as my mind races with all the wonderful warm dishes I can make with it. I must confess...I do not like raw mixed greens, but add a little garlic and heat them up on the stove! Oh my goodness...love 'em! However, as the days pass, so do my good intentions, and the bag ends up in the trash, wilted and wasted. Then I feel so guilty. It was about to happen again, today. Luckily, around lunch time, I started craving warm greens, so I whipped up a few things in the skillet and it did not disappoint. In fact, I ended up eating the entire bag! YAY! No wasted greens....EVER again!;-)

They say, the darker the better, when it comes to greens (don't know if that's actually a true statement)! One thing I do know is that leafy greens contain lots of vitamins and minerals, loads of fiber, and phytochemicals, which, by the way, I'm sure you know helps prevent several forms of cancer. Phytochemicals can also reduce inflammation and eliminate carcinogens. This little 5 ounce bag really is a nutritional powerhouse! So, go get a bag of greens and feed your body what your cells crave! It'll love you for it!

Sauteed Mixed Greens
1 5 oz. bag of mixed greens (Baby kale, chard, and spinach)
1 1/4  Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup onion
1 clove garlic (minced)
Salt and pepper to taste
Slivered almonds (optional)

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, and onion and cook until softened (about 3-4 minutes). Add garlic, and heat for about 1 minute. Add bag of greens and heat, stirring occasionally, for about 3-5 minutes. I ended up throwing some slivered almonds at the last minute, which added a nice crunch.:)




ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment