Thursday, July 3, 2014

PATRIOTIC LAYERED SMOOTHIE

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!! As families across the country prepare to celebrate America's independence from Great Britain, with parades, fireworks, and barbecues, I am once again reminded of how great this country really is. Political views and opinions aside,  I am so proud to be an American and my prayer is that God will bless this nation beyond measure in the years to come.

Alright...moving on. My boys have been away at their grandparents for most of the week (thanks mom and dad...love you), so when they came home today (and I really did miss them like CRAZY), I wanted to surprise them with a little Fourth of July treat. They love smoothies, so I whipped up this layered smoothie. If you've never made a layered smoothie before, but want to give it a try, the trick is to make sure each layer is thick enough to withstand the next layer. Usually sticking each layer in the freezer for 30 minutes will do the trick. I'll be honest...because I usually tell it like it is. One liked it, the other didn't. That's usually the way it goes around here, though! :) Go figure!;-)

Ingredients:
Mix each layer separately, in blender. Pour and freeze each layer in 2-4 glasses for 30 minutes each.

For red layer:
1/4 cup yogurt (I used plain greek yogurt, but you can use reg. or flavored yogurt, as well)
1/4 of a large banana
1/2 cup of strawberries (frozen or fresh...may also use cherries...make sure their pitted)
1/2 cup almond milk, acai or cranberry juice (I used almond milk)
1 Tbsp honey
3-5 ice cubes


For white layer (this was my favorite):
1/2 cup yogurt (I used plain greek yogurt, but you can use reg. or flavored yogurt, as well)
1/2 banana (frozen is best, but fresh will do)
1/4 cup milk (I used almond milk)
1 scoop Vanilla protein powder (optional)
1 tbsp honey
3-5 ice cubes

For blue layer:
1/4 cup of yogurt
1/4 of banana
1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup almond milk, acai juice, or cranberry juice
1 Tbsp honey
3-5 ice cubes

Have a great day celebrating with family and friends!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment